Web hosting offers an important role in your entire online business, and you should know what you are getting in before you hire one. There are different types of hosting services available, including shared, dedicated, managed, co location, virtual hosting services and more, but here we will specifically address the disadvantages of using a single web host.
Now that most people do not know the differences with many of these hosting services, its important to have some basic knowledge about their business. This allows you to make the right choice for your particular situation. This is even more critical if you are really serious about establishing your business online for the long term.
People are always looking for operations that are easy to install, can be done quickly and are cheap. Because of this mentality, they are more attracted to shared web hosting, because they all share these common features. This type of hosting is the most popular on the internet and for good reason it is the cheapest. Most of these providers can be reached for less than 5 per month, so they attract many customers.
Shared web hosting is where many websites are hosted on the same server. Now that they provide an easy way to install and you do not have to disturb yourself with much technical knowledge because all that would take care of by the provider, there are some important issues that you should be aware of.
Here are some disadvantages that you and your website may face with a common web host
- Slower server response Websites on a common web host can experience slower server response time due to the number of sites hosting on the same server. More experienced and reputable companies can address the problem by monitoring server performance and, if necessary, adding new web servers. This would enable them to continue to provide good service to their customers.
- Risk of cross contamination Because there are so many sites that are on the same server, there is always a risk of cross contamination. If a website on the server is to be infected by a virus or exposed to fraudulent behavior, inadvertently or intentionally, your site may be exposed as well. Many on the internet have experienced some of these headaches first.
- Painted by spammers These types of web hosting providers are more targeted at spammers because their security measures may be insufficient or not as effective as other more dedicated providers. This does not mean that you will not be exposed to these items by other companies, but the risk here may be much higher.
- Server Overload Issues Depending on web hosting, a server can host hundreds or even thousands of websites because they are equipped with powerful and highly sophisticated computers. However, if the number of sites on a particular server exceeds the safe operating limit and it becomes overloaded, you start experiencing a slower response. This can lead to more complications and a complete shutdown if it is not treated immediately.
- Risk of compromising your personal security The biggest risk of meeting a common web host is the risk of compromising your personal identity and security. There are many unwanted people on the internet who are just looking for an opportunity to destroy your life, and they target places where security systems are more relaxed. Shared web hosting providers are more likely to this kind of business than other more dedicated hosting services.
Probably one of the biggest problems with using a common web host is that you as a customer only have limited access to the server. If you do not use or need to use your own web applications or other sophisticated programming or installations now, that would be great. However, you may need all these services later, and you want to make sure that your web provider has the technical support on site when needed.